PCI Professional (PCIP)™ Qualification
The Payment Card Industry Professional is an individual, entry-level certification in payment security information and provides you with the tools to help your organization build a secure payment environment. Becoming a PCIP demonstrates a level of understanding that can provide a strong foundation for a career in the payments security industry. This renewable career certification is not affected by changes in employment assignments and stays in effect as long as the individual continues to meet requirements. This three-year credential also provides a great foundation for other PCI qualifications.
- Support your organization’s or client’s ongoing security and compliance efforts through your knowledge of how to apply PCI Standards
- Gain recognition of your professional achievement with this renewable three-year industry credential
- Become part of a PCIP community where knowledge and best practices can be shared
- Launch your career in the payments industry with a competitive advantage
- Listing in a searchable directory on the PCI website
- Earn Continuing Professional Education (CPE) credits
- Available as instructor-led in-person or via eLearning. Also available on-demand.
- The qualification exam is administered at a Pearson VUE Test Center. You will have 90 minutes to complete 75 multiple-choice questions. No electronic devices may be used during the closed-book exam.
Right for You?
If you have experience in any of these areas, consider the PCIP Qualification:
- Product Development, Marketing or Sales (develop or sell payments-oriented products)
29 Nov 2022 Closed
14 Mar 2023
Remote classes are a combination of eLearning and a live webinar.
Become a PCIP and take your career to the next level!
|Course||Price||Prices Beginning 1 January 2023|
New PCIP Training (In person or eLearning) Non-PO
|$2,500 USD||$2,750 USD|
New PCIP Training (In person or eLearning) PO
|$1,550 USD||$1,700 USD|
New PCIP Exam-only Non-PO
|$1,550 USD||$1,700 USD|
New PCIP Exam-only PO
|$900 USD||$1000 USD|
New PCIP Exam Retake fee via Pearson VUE
|$165 USD||$185 USD|
Requalification PCIP Training Non PO
|$260 USD||$350 USD|
Requalification PCIP Training PO
|$260 USD||$300 USD|
Requalification PCIP Exam-only Non PO
|$165 USD||$200 USD|
Requalification PCIP Exam-only PO
|$165 USD||$185 USD|
New QSA & ISA Opt in
|$260 USD||$300 USD|
Requalification PCIP – QSA & ISA Opt in
|$160 USD||$200 USD|
Become a Participating Organization
Join our growing community of Participation Organizations and play an active part in helping secure the future of payments. Participating Organizations receive discounts on training!
How to Prepare for the Exam
Prior to taking the PCIP training and/or exam, candidates should familiarize themselves with information regarding the PCI Standards and supporting documents. These materials along with the current version of the PCI DSS may be found in the Document Library.
Course and Exam Information
PCI Professional (PCIP) course content is delivered in these formats:
- Self-paced, online eLearning
- Scheduled, instructor-led classes delivered by PCI trainer
- Hosted one-day Corporate Group Training class held at your chosen location
This self-paced, six-hour eLearning course offers:
- Flexible scheduling 24/7/365
- Learn from your home or office
- Reduced travel costs and time away from work
- Provides individuals in any country an opportunity to train for and take the exam at their convenience and at a location close to home or work.
You will receive a link to access the eLearning course. You will have 90 days from the day you receive the link to complete the course and take the exam. You will also receive a separate email from Pearson VUE with credentials and complete instructions on how to schedule your exam.
Engaging and effective, this classroom-style instruction provides:
- Ability to focus on curriculum in classroom setting
- Learn directly from an experienced PCI trainer
- Interaction with instructor and fellow classmates
You have 30 days from the conclusion of the course to take the exam, for which you will also receive a separate email from Pearson VUE with credentials and complete instructions on how to schedule your exam.
The qualification exam is administered at a Pearson VUE Test Center. You will have 90 minutes to complete 75 multiple-choice questions. No electronic devices may be used during the closed-book exam.
Scheduling the Exam
- All scheduling/rescheduling is done via Pearson VUE’s online scheduling system – you select the test location, date and time most convenient for you.
- You will receive an email containing Instructions and a voucher to schedule your exam within 2-3 business days of payment processing.
- If you choose the Exam-only or instructor-led class option, the exam must be completed within a 30 day test window.
- If you choose the eLearning Course, the exam must be completed within a 90 days test window.
Exam Results and Next Steps
- Pass/Fail results are provided immediately following the conclusion of your exam.
- Passing candidates will receive a Certificate of Qualification via email within 2-3 business days.
- If a passing score is not achieved, a total of three (3) attempts are permitted (a retake fee will apply).
Exam Only Option
There is also an option to by-pass the training component and sit for the exam. If you choose the exam only option, you will receive an email from Pearson VUE and have 30 days from receipt of the email to schedule and complete the exam.
* Note: It is highly recommended that candidates take the optional PCIP eLearning or Instructor-Led Training course prior to taking the qualification exam.
Step 1 – Review
Refer to the PCIP Qualification Requirements for complete program description and requirements and to confirm that you are well suited for the program.
Next, determine if you’ll be enrolling in:
- The eLearning training course
- An Instructor-Led Training
- The exam-only option
Then complete the short registration form online (see step 2).
Step 2 – Apply
- Submit PCIP registration form
- Once we receive your registration, we will supply you with log-in credentials to complete your online application.
- Access PCIP online application through PCI SSC’s secure portal: https://programs.pcissc.org
- Complete PCIP application (Note: Attestation name, signature and date must be hand written)
- Applicants will be notified via email of their application status within 2 days of submitting their fully completed application.
- Following the approval of application, a training invoice will be emailed within 2-3 business days
- Submit payment
Step 3 - Train
Upon receipt of payment, you will:
- For those taking eLearning training and exam:
- You will receive a link to access the eLearning course.
- You will have 90 days from the day you receive the link to complete the course and take the exam.
- You will also receive a separate email from Pearson VUE with credentials and complete instructions on how to schedule your exam.
- For those taking an instructor-led class:
- Receive an email from provider confirming your seat in the class, the class location and further instructions
- Receive an email containing instructions and credentials for scheduling your exam at a Pearson VUE test center
- Have 30 days from the class date to sit for the exam
Step 4 - Enrollment
Pass/Fail results are provided immediately following the conclusion of the exam.
Passing candidates will receive a Certificate of Qualification via email and will be added to the Council’s website listing of PCI Professionals.
Group Training Option
- If you have a group to train, please consider our PCI Professional Corporate Group Training instructor-led option, where an expert PCI instructor comes to your facility (or any location you choose) to deliver the course. We offer volume discounts – the more you train, the more you save.
In a one-day class (9:00 – 17:00), your team will have the benefit of learning directly from a PCI SSC seasoned instructor. (Many companies hold this training in conjunction with a corporate meeting or member event, thereby maximizing time and travel budget.)
- The on-site “classroom” environment offers collaboration with teammates in a supportive, focused setting which allows your team to get the most out of the training content.
- Computer based, closed-book exam taken at a PearsonVUE testing center within 30 days of the date of training
- Perhaps your team is at different experience levels. The Council will be pleased to provide a “combination package” for your training event. Let us know your training needs and we will customize the training event to the size of your group and specific experience levels.
Get more information on Corporate Group Training option.
In addition to PCI Professional, some of our other popular courses delivered onsite include:
Corporate Group Training
Learn directly from an instructor with hands-on experience in the field of payments security. All courses are available in group training format and delivered as part of our eLearning platform. Your organization will receive all the benefits of an instructor-led training class, at a time and place most convenient for you and your staff.
Internal Security Assessors (ISAs) and Qualified Security Assessors (QSAs)/Associate Qualified Security Assessors (AQSAs) in good standing may choose to add the individual PCIP qualification to recognize their already proven level of expertise.
This accreditation is available to ISAs and QSAs/AQSAs through registration with PCI SSC. Once you register and pay the opt-in fee you will simply have to complete the online application which includes uploading a signed Attestation and agreeing to the download the Code of Professional Responsibility.
In order to maintain the high standards, set for this qualification, all PCIPs must requalify every three years to continue to maintain their status and be listed on the PCI website.
Requalification requirements help ensure that PCIPs remain current with technical and industry changes and demonstrate professionalism. To maintain active qualification status, PCIPs must:
- Abide by the PCI SSC Code of Professional Responsibility
- Meet the Continuing Professional Education (CPE) requirement of 10 CPE hours per year and 30 CPE hours over a rolling three year period
The Council emails courtesy reminders 90 days in advance of your qualification expiry date. To complete the requalification process, the required CPE hours and a requalification registration must be submitted prior to the expiry date and a passing score must be achieved on the exam no later than 14 days after the expiry date.
- For your convenience, CPE hours can be tracked and stored in the PCI portal at any time
- Once the required number of CPE hours has been recorded, select a requalification option and submit your registration
- Two options are available: requalification training and exam or requalification exam only
- An invoice will be emailed within 2-3 business days
- You will receive an email containing instructions and credentials to complete the requalification exam within 2 business days of payment processing
- Once you successfully pass the exam, a new certificate will be emailed and you’ll be listed on the PCI website as a PCI Professional for another three years
The training around network configuration and monitoring requirements provided an immediate benefit in helping to implement new systems appropriately.
The training provided a background in PCI and gave me better understanding of the various requirements – the highlight was the personal instruction and lively classroom dynamic with the ability to learn from others’ questions.