How to Secure?
Let the PCI Data Security Standard guide
your program for security
The PCI DSS has become a model framework for security. It has best practices representing years of experience from security experts around the world. The standard works for the biggest corporations. And it will work for you!
Quick steps to security!
- Buy and use only approved PIN entry devices at your points-of-sale. Click here to see a list on our website.
- Buy and use only validated payment software at your POS or website shopping cart. Click here to see a list on our website.
- Do not store any sensitive cardholder data in computers or on paper.
- Use a firewall on your network and PCs.
- Make sure your wireless router is password-protected and uses encryption.
- Use strong passwords. Be sure to change default passwords on hardware and software – most are unsafe!
- Regularly check PIN entry devices and PCs to make sure no one has installed rogue software or “skimming” devices.
- Teach your employees about security and protecting cardholder data.
- Follow the PCI standard. See below.
PCI: ongoing 3-step process
- Assess – identifying cardholder data, taking an inventory of your IT assets and business processes for payment card processing, and analyzing them for vulnerabilities.
- Remediate – fixing vulnerabilities and not storing cardholder data unless you need it.
- Report – compiling and submitting required reports to the acquiring bank and card brands you do business with.
Click here for the complete PCI DSS ver. 2.0
Click here – “Quick Guide” to the PCI Data Security Standard